Tail Envy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HobbyChickener, May 9, 2008.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Not sure if I posted this in the right place so feel free to move it if need be mods. [​IMG]

I have 8 EE's that I got on good Friday. That would make them about 7 - 8 weeks old. There are some that look more americanas and some that look more aracana. Therefore some have tails and some don't. I am not sure if it is just a mean bird kind of thing or not but they seem to be pulling out each others tail feathers. For the most part the ones that had tails just have naked butts now. Is this a bad thing? Is there something that I should be doing about it? Will it stop as they grow more? And will those grow back?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    if their aras. They may not grow tails. The "real" Aracauanas which came from south america. dont have tails. And have muffs. but you could see if They maybe bored so their picking feathers. Also. Could not be enough room. To stop boredom. Put grass in the pen or make a pen on grass for them. Separate. =Sell. Give a way. Find a bigger/different pen,

3. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I have never had this problem before with this number in the same pen. Maybe it is bordum, but how do you amuse a chicken? I will try the grass but they are not big enough to move to the coop and run where they are on the ground.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:chickens are more of a "give us something to play with and we'll amuse ourselves". all though you might could try petting them a lot?. far as i know no ones ever tried that with this problem... I;d just try to keep some grass in the brooder with them. did you have the same breeds in the same brooder before?. different breeds need more/less of space.

5. HobbyChickener

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    The last group was RIR RIW and Dels. The group before that was alot of a mix. They probably dont get handled as much as the others. I will try the grass and see what comes of it. Maybe others have a thougt too?

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They could be lacking protein if they're pecking feathers from each other - are they eating the feathers? If so, try giving them some dry cat food - it's high in protein.

Also, if you search on here, you'll find all sorts of ideas to break boredom. One that lots of us do it to hang a suet feeder in the run - fill it with something yummy to chickens that will take them time to get out from the wire. I have a suet feeder that will hold 3 cakes, so it's pretty good sized. I put 1/2 a head of cabbage inside of it and hang it at about head level. You should see them go at it! They'll spend hours pecking at the cabbage - it takes time, gives them something to do, and the cabbage (or whatever you use) is nutritious for them as well!

I also have lots of things for them to play on in my run. An old tire, an old garbage can sawed in half lengthwise...these items I move around occasionally so it's always a new setup in there for them.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by