Tail fanning/wagging?

5lovelyhens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2015
Today we were introducing my 3 month old baby chicks to my 1 year old adult chickens. One of my adults (Black Sex Link) turned away from the babies, flattened her tail and moved her tail side to side. What does that mean?

I associate chickens wagging their tail with happiness. They seem to do it when they feel good. Now, if they fluff up, tail spread wide, head down and make noise, that is usually a challenge of dominance.

From my flock, I've interpreted behaviors based on the "next action" most the time. For example, many people say when a rooster dances at you with a wing down (one winged dance,) it's typically aggression/mating. My roo Roopert does this all the time toward me, but he just wants me to pick him up I've discovered.

The reason I know this is because he'll do it at me if I'm sitting, then jump in my lap and put his head down for me to scratch it. He's never bitten me, or flogged me.

The tail shaking - my birds do it all the time, and often after they poop. :)

mine wag their tail for no reason lol...usually its like when they flap their wings to stretch them out. just weird stuff chickens do that really has no meaning :)

Mine tend to do it at around preening / dustbathing time. They seem pretty chill before and after the action.

Back
Top Bottom