Tail Feather Pecking

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MyPetNugget, Nov 30, 2013.

1. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I just went out to feed them and then I saw one of the RIRs attacking one of the BOs. Their fight lasted for over 30 seconds, which is the longest chicken fight I have ever seen. Anyway, I went to switch their feeder and they were fighting again! The BOs tail feathers are all missing except for one.[​IMG] Does anyone have any solutions for this? Only those two have been fighting.

2. Poor BO. RIRs can be a bit aggressive to other hens.. I hope the Rhode Island Red stops. I can't think of anything you can do. Maybe someone else knows. Is the BO weaker or younger then the RIR?

3. MyPetNugget

They are the same age and grew up together. The BO never fights, and I can't imagine any reason why the RIR would be after her. Right now Nugget is our lead hen. She is the biggest and does not fight unless somebody starts with her. The BO is not weaker than any of the chickens. The only chickens I have ever had pecking problems with are the RIRs. Should I separate the BO? Nobody else is picking on her but the RIR.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Separate the bully for a few days, then try to reintegrate. Should knock her down in the pecking order.
    How old are they, are they both laying?
    If she insists on making being a bully, make her into SOUP!

5. MyPetNugget

They are......wow...they're older than I thought....21 weeks. No eggs yet I hope to get them soon though. It seemed like yesterday they were like only 14 weeks. [​IMG]

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If you just have one really aggressive hen, you can put pinless peepers on her for a couple of weeks and see if that stops the tail pulling. I also agree that separating her for a week and then putting her back in might stop the behavior.

7. MyPetNugget

What are pinless peepers?
    Sorry if that seems like a silly question.
    Thank you all for replying so fast.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    They are little blinders that snap into the chicken's nostrils and stop her from seeing the end of her beak. She can still eat, etc, but it's much harder for her to aim to peck at flockmates. You can buy them lots of places. Here's one: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pinless_peepers.html

The pliers they are talking about are jump-ring pliers. They are often cheaper at a hardware store than a chicken store.

9. MyPetNugget

Neat!
    Thanks for the link!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by