1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tail feather pulled out

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haggisman, Nov 20, 2013.

1. haggisman

haggisman New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    My partridge Chanteclair escaped yesterday and had a run in with predator of some sort. The only visible damage seems to be all her tail feathers were ripped out and there's a cut on the parsons nose. I've cleaned the afected area and spray gentle iodine on it. She seems fine and is eating and drinking normally, pooping normally.

Given the area the feathers were ripped out, will the feathers grow back?

Thanks,

Steve

2. MisFitzFarm

MisFitzFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Hi there,
    As far as I know, the feathers should grow back normally, though it may take a while considering the amount pulled. I believe they should grow back in the same manner as when they molt out. I think that if the feather is snapped, though, it won't grow back until she molts it out, as the follicle is still there. Lucky little bird, too, surviving that! Best of luck.
    ~MisFitzFarm

3. haggisman

haggisman New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Quote: Hi Thanks for the information. Her rump still looks kinda gross, but the skin itself seems undamaged - the small cut is healing as I expected, with no sign of infection. The skin did take on a greyish tinge - presumably that was caused by the iodine spray. I'm putting on Polysporin ointment daily, dabbing it on gently with a piece of gauze to help with the healing and hopefully to ward off bacteria.

She's quite happy, eating like a pig and drinking normally. Her pooping appears to be unaffected

Steve

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. MisFitzFarm

MisFitzFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    That's great to hear! Sounds like she's going to make a full recovery [​IMG]!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The feathers will grow back, probably in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by