1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tail feathers missing & bloody

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cockadoodlemom, Apr 5, 2007.

1. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    1 of my RIR (almost 2 wks old) chicks is missing some of her new tail feayhers and she has a bloody spot. I took her out and have her in my hand and she is sleeping. I dont want to put her back in there and the others pick at her. I have 27 total chicks. Please help. Is there something I can put on her?[​IMG]

2. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I've been using Blue lotion and Hot Pik a hot spice spray on my butt picked girls. If one had a really bloody butt I seperated the injured one for a couple of days to heal a bit.

3. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you for answering me. Where do I get it at?

4. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Just noticed she is picking at it herself [​IMG]
    What do I do?[​IMG]

5. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to your feed store for a "stop pick" product. It's an antiseptic with a color on it so she and the other chicks won't pick at it. [​IMG]

6. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you sooooo much! [​IMG]

7. slystr

slystr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I got my stuff at Tractor supply and at a local feed store. WHere in Texas are you?

8. cockadoodlemom

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    Outside Corsicana and there is a TSC there so I will definatley go there and get some. Thank You so much for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by