Tail feathers on hens

Netster

Chirping
Jan 23, 2022
Mississippi
I have 3 hens & no roosters. Two of the hens tail feathers are not as tall as they once were. I can tell compared to the 3rd hen’s tail feathers. Is this something that chickens normally go through? Those two hens are not laying eggs currently but the 3rd hen is laying every day to every other day.
Any suggestions on what might be going on? I do not see any feathers on the ground to suspect that the other is plucking them out.
TIA

What breeds are they? They are most likely losing their tall tail feathers and not laying because they are molting. They should regrow soon.
Thank you! I have heard that word (molting) but had not looked it up. I have 1 Orf Buffington & 2 black hens with black eyes. I can’t remember their breed.
Thanks again for your response! Do you know how long the molting lasts?

Thank you! I have heard that word (molting) but had not looked it up. I have 1 Orf Buffington & 2 black hens with black eyes. I can’t remember their breed.
Thanks again for your response! Do you know how long the molting lasts?
It varies from bird to bird but it usually takes at least a month or two, though sometimes it tales 3-4 months. Molting usually occurs in the fall. When a bird molts she loses all of her feathers and grows new ones. This is something every chicken goes through every year. Hens will also stop laying during this time.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?
I'd guess you live in the northern hemisphere and they are molting.

How old are the birds, in months?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1665310860977.png

I'd guess you live in the northern hemisphere and they are molting.

How old are the birds, in months?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3285452
I researched my black hens & they are
Australorps. I’m not sure of their age. Thanks for reminding me to add my location of MS

Back
Top Bottom