Tail feathers

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by birdman5000, May 20, 2019.

1. birdman5000

birdman5000 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2019
    My peacock was strutting his stuff yesterday for my wife and daughter and we noticed on of its feathers was cracked and hanging maybe 8-10inches from the end. It drags the ground while he walks around. Is this something I should put a stint on and maybe wrap it up so it doesn't break all the way off. Should I clip it right above where the break is.

2. It is just visual but if it bothers you grab it at the base and twist as you tug it out with a quick snap. Being as it is not a growing blood feather it won't bleed. They are all going to fall out in about two months.

birdman5000 and sourland like this.
  3. birdman5000

Apr 6, 2019
    Thank you so much for some guidance. Im not so worried as appearance. I just see the way he controls the shake of all his tail feathers when hes strutting around. Wasnt sure how he was able to control the shaking.

To be clear you think it would be better yo dispose of whole tail feather than using some dikes and clipping where broken

4. Dany12

Dany12 Songster

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    How high are the perches?

perchoir.jpg

5. birdman5000

Apr 6, 2019
    6ft he only has one at this time

6. I am just saying it is really your preference if you don't want to look at a broken feather pull it out. If you don't mind just snip it off or tug on it and it will break off.

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    My boy will occasionally get a broken frame feather, I just clip it off at the break. You can do it either way. Like KS said, the train feathers are not blood feathers at this point, so pulling the whole thing is likely akin to pulling out a couple hairs. It'll probably sting a little in the moment, but overall not a big deal.

8. birdman5000

Apr 6, 2019
    I think im gonna clip it off at the break today when I get home. Just wanted to double verify no nerves or anything crazy where inside the feathers. Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I love my byc fam!

KsKingBee likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: