Tail feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PekinDiaries, Feb 19, 2015.

1. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

We have two Jumbo Pekins, Genghis and Kublai. They are a week old now. For the past couple of days, we've been noticing a lot of preening on Kublai's end. Mainly on the tail and naval area. He pulled off his baby scab a few days ago, and he's plucked his butt almost bald. Genghis doesn't preen as frantically as his brother does. Should I be at all concerned? We assume that it's just new feathers coming in, but we wanted to be absolutely positive.
    [​IMG]
    (It is a lot worse when he's wet, but that's the best picture the little bug would allow me to take)
    [​IMG]
    Our adorable little blurs.

I've worked very closely with adult birds and I know that at times, plucking can be a problem when stress induced. Like I said, just making sure that this is normal.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What is the temperature in the brooder?

Cute babies.

3. PekinDiaries

I want to say around 92-95F, my thermometer is a tad bit off. But I've been going off of their body language for the most part. They're not always in the center of the brooder, they are not always at the edges. It seems to depend on whether they want to sleep next to their water. Does that mean its too hot?
    And thank you! They're quite the handful. I'm a proud mama. :)

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is time to lower the heat. Ducklings need about 90F the first week, then dropping about 5 degrees F each week afterward. They may be too warm - so many things could be going on. Are they getting chick feed, if so are they getting some added B vitamins (especially niacin?). Are they swimming daily? What's the bedding?

I am not interrogating, just thinking out loud - so many things going on with ducklings. Glad you are being conscientious - it could just be they are getting new tail feathers and are itchy as the new feathers come in.

5. PekinDiaries

I just raised the lamp, we will see if theres a change in their sleeping position. They get about 150mg of niacin in every gallon of their water. Bedding is pine shavings (we are considering switching to towels because of how much they splash their water around) They are eating non medicated chick starter, and have been getting treats of kale, oatmeal and mealworms (they are spoiled, of course. Especially with the kale. But we watch their protein intake). They are swimming daily, watched very closely of course.
    I appreciate your help. We are first time parents and we just want them to be as happy and healthy as they can be.

6. PekinDiaries

Update: He kept plucking, and yesterday we were able to spot some pretty little white bits of feather coming in! He's still a bald butt, but its looking like he's making room for his new feathers! Woohoo!! [​IMG]

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    New feathers does seem likely - nice news. They develop so quickly!

Watch for little white flakes everywhere - with eleven littles, we had quite the "snowstorm" as the new feather cuticles were shed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by