1. krazyanimal

krazyanimal New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Texas
    We just got chicks and this is one of the smaller ones. She is still eating and drinking and acting normal. What should we do? Could this be caused by another bird? This is our first time having chickens. [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It certainly does look like an injury caused by pecking.

Separate her immediately from the other chicks and treat the wound. Personally, I would clean it with a mild saline solution and then apply betadine (iodine), but others will hopefully chip in with additional suggestions (access to medication / first aid treatments are very limited where I live, hence additional advice will help). Once treated, you need to divide the brooder and keep her separate - blood or anything red will encourage further pecking.

The brooder should be as large as possible, and if you put "distractions" in the brooder, such as tree branches, cardboard boxes (with all 4 sides cut out), hang a CD it may help to prevent further pecking. If you have a pen or a run that you can put them in for a few hours a day (weather permitting) this should also keep them occupied).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Yeah it looks like pecking. I have a bunch of cockerels in a pen and only the most dominant ones still have their sickle feathers so I'm guessing it's the same with yours, just on a smaller scale.

There's a wound dressing liquid (spray or paste) you can get called Blu-Kote. It'll stick to the wound and is an antiseptic to aid in healing and stop any blood flow. Being blue the other birds won't peck at it like they will a red wound. Also it has a bad taste which is also beneficial. You can get it at any feed store or TSC, or even on Amazon. Whenever I've had an issue like that I always apply Blu-Kote and leave the birds together unless the injured bird is seriously injured. By separating them you'll have to re-integrate which can be worse than if they stay together. Of course if the injured bird is being kept from food/water it's best to separate them until you can figure out what to do.

4. krazyanimal

krazyanimal New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Texas
    I did separate all the Littles. I'm going to the feed store first thing in the morning.

5. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Also just wanted to mention, you can get Blu-Kote in a spray or in a can with a dauber, like the kind found in a can of PVC glue. Either one works well and I keep both but personally I prefer the spray since I can control where it goes better. It's mighty sticky so if you get any on you it'll take a little while to peel it off. Just wanted to mention that. Don't wear your Sunday's best when applying it. Good luck - I'm sure your bird will be fine.

6. krazyanimal

krazyanimal New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Texas

Thanks i don't think I've worn Sunday best since moving to the country and getting goats, pigs and now chickens lol

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by