1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    My birds have never had bad lice other than a few on their head and that's extremely rare even. I prize myself in keeping them clean, my prize rooster has been separated from my flock for his shows. And I was bathing him this morning for his show this Saturday (now he isn't going [​IMG] ) and I noticed what looked like lice poop on his tail I'm not 100% sure it's lice or just some dirt from dust bathing but I'm too worried to not look into it. If it is lice whats a good way to get rid of them. I'm mainly looking for home remedies but any ideas and cures would be nice please.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    poultry dust is what I have read here to use. people use DE to help prevent lice but not to get rid of them, if he has them then the rest of the flock should be treated too

3. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    none of the other flock has them I already checked, I think he got it from being transported around he's another lot on my farm the rest of the flock is several acres away from him.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend using sevin dust. Then 10 days later redust him again to kill any nits that have hatched since the first dusting. His house will have to dusted and redusted in 10 days as well.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by