Tail/Saddle Feathers on 10 day old Maran Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aumismommy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. aumismommy

aumismommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    Out of our 11 chicks we have 3 maran chicks - 2 of whom look identical, 1 looks different. I will post pics later if I can. The two similar are both having tail/saddle feathers come in... as in pointing up, not just the downy feathering. They are also a bit darker in markings, still have yellow bellies and yellow spot on head but compared to the lone one - the one has much more yellowing on head and has no tail feathers just fluff. I know they are tiny but it's an obvious difference. I'm assuming the two to be roosters and one hen but just wondering.

Any tricks on sexing babies? These aren't straight run, supposed to be 90% pullets/hens.

We have 3 cochins, 1 barred rock, 1 dark brahma, 3 marans, 3 EE (they said they were ameraucanas but I'm not sold on that). Any other tricks on how to tell the girls from boys? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    As with barred birds, cuckoo males would have a larger and more dispersed spot on the head and the overall coloring would look noticeably lighter once they feather. So, the lighter one with slow feathering would be the sexing mishap suspect.

3. aumismommy

aumismommy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    Oh ok - so you are saying that the one that has the bigger spot on head and no tail feathers yet is the male? I was assuming other way around. That makes me happy :)

4. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Exactly. I hope he's a good boy for you!

5. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    Are they black copper marans? Would love to know what mine are using this method!

6. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    No, BCMs don't have head spots, only the cuckoo pattern does. It has to do with the barring gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by