Tail Shape

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
I just wanted to comment. At some point, a poster stated that the tail shape of geese and ganders are different, with one being square and the other being pointed.

Observing my own geese, I see that the Blue American ganders can pull their tails tight and they don't looked pointed, but they do have tight rounded shape. But the same ganders often relax their tail a bit and then the tails look square. Their normal look is a square tail.

All the Poms, both genders, show square tails. I haven't seen any of them pull the tail tight so that it looks pointed. Which doesn't mean that they can't.

So, in conclusion, I wouldn't rely upon the shape of the tail to determine the gender of geese.

I have 2 Blue American ganders (who are looking for new homes).

I have 2 Pomeranian geese and 1 Pomeranian gander, All 3 poms were purchased as adults out of Holderread's own breeding flock. One goose I already had and the other goose and gander, I drove over the mountains and picked them up after Holderread announced he is selling off his Pomeranians.

I have 2 Blue American ganders (who are looking for new homes). 

I have 2 Pomeranian geese and 1 Pomeranian gander,  All 3 poms were purchased as adults out of Holderread's own breeding flock.  One goose I already had and the other goose and gander, I drove over the mountains and picked them up after Holderread announced he is selling off his Pomeranians.

Oh, for some reason, I thought you havld 2 blue pairs, and 1 lone pomeranian.

Are all 3 pomeranians SQ? Grey im guessing. I wish I was closer, and had other geese. I would pick up 1 or both of your blue ganders :love

The pair of adult Poms are new to me. I had goslings reserved, but since no goslings will be available, I drove over and purchased adults. Yes, all 3 are gray and all show quality.

I've also got goslings reserved in California and I will be driving down there later this spring to pick them up.

Yes, too bad you aren't closer. We'd have a good time going to shows together.

Both the Blue ganders are excellent quality and one of them is really exceptional. But, of course, they aren't an APA recognized color, so can't be shown, other than in AOV. They came by way of a farm where neighborhood dogs were killing all the poultry. Their mates were killed, along with all the other geese and ducks, so I got them to save them from the marauding dogs.

I have not been able to find either Blue or Lavender Ice geese to pair with them. So the poor things are in a bachelor pad all by themselves and that isn't really the ideal way to keep geese. Geese need a flock and these boys don't have one.

Ahh, I see. I would really love your 2 ganders :love but I have no females for them. Just eggs in my incubator. But I dont want to have mix breeding going on....

It would be some serious fun going to a show with you and your birds! I might be going to a show the end of this month in knoxville. Cant wait!

Thats nice of you to save the ganders. Would you keep them if you found lav or blue geese for them? Poor boys... :( ... Wouldn't it be cool if you could get your hands on some buff females? :love (pomeranians)

I really like the Buff Pomeranians, but every new color means another breeding pen. Each additional breeding pen means more work and a lot more expense.

Right now, I would like to cut back on breeds and just concentrate on 3 breeds; Gray Poms, Appleyards, and Blue Swedish. Even just 3 breeds means lots of separate pens. Bloodlines need to be separated and the Swedish have to be separated by color.

Fingers crossed that you can make it to that show. If you make it, get photos for us!

Back
Top Bottom