Tail twitch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyanLuv, Dec 7, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I think I might have read something about this before but if anyone wants to clear it up for me, I'd appreciate it. Two of my EE hens that are laying but not a year old hold their tail off to the side. I kind of thought it was weird at first but then after observing them, they kind of wag it a little when they shake and when they settle down, they hold it off to the left and down. The other chickens don't hold their tail off to the side.... So are my chickens just goofy or is their another reason for this?

Thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A little tail twitch/shake is normal for birds, but the holding to the side is most likly a skeletal/muscle development issue. If they are related, it is probably something in the breeders, and probably shouldn't be bred so it doesn't pass it on. I had a few bent tail birds and on the way to freezer camp, found that they had a slight skeletal (back/hip) deformity that caused their tail to sit to the side.

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My Americauna wags her tail like a dog when she shakes. Neither of my other two do it. Its also hilarious to watch her when she catching her balance. The tail fans out like a turkey. For example if she's in my hands and I move her too fast, she seems to do this fanning of her tail as if to catch herself.

4. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    Rats, that's not what I was hoping to hear... They are good girls, and my only two EE's that lay and egg. Go figure. There shouldn't be any reason not to eat the eggs right? it's just the bird? I don't plan to use them for any breeding purposes.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Go ahead and eat away. Nothing wrong with the eggs. If you're not breeding them, doesn't matter for anything other than aesthetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by