Tailed Araucana and Ameraucana / Rhode Island Red: boys??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deedletree, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Both are pullets! Yay!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Both are cockerels. : (

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  3. Georgie is a cockerel, Carrot is a pullet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Carrot is a cockerel, Georgie is a pullet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deedletree

deedletree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Hi,

I have a white Araucana that has a tail (someone was improving their Araucanas for some trait) and a red Ameraucana / Rhode Island Red cross. The white one "Georgie" is about 12 weeks, and the red one "Carrot" is about 10 weeks. I've posted these a Facebook site, and the consensus was that Georgie is definitely a boy and Carrot is also likely a cockerel. Georgie has some pointy saddle feathers, but the hackle feathers aren't too roo-ish yet.

I really, really wanted a blue egg layer and a green egg layer, and I can't have roosters where I live. These guys also had a respiratory illness when they were small, and since everything in chickens seems to go underground rather than get cured, I'm not willing to re-home them if there's a chance they will carry something to someone else's flock. So, these guys have to be girls or they'll need to be culled.

What do y'all think? Should I give them a little longer? Are they minutes from crowing?

[​IMG]
    Georgie

[​IMG]
    Carrot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They both look like boys, sorry.
    Also a side note, I don't know what the breeder told you but the white one has not a drop of Ameraucana in it. He isn't even an EE. He has a single comb, no beard or muff, and yellow legs. Looks more like a leghorn than an EE.

3. deedletree

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    It was supposed to be an Araucana culled because it had a tail, not Ameraucana. . .

4. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Well, he's not an Araucana either. Araucanas have pea combs, beard, ear tufts, and slate legs. Your boy has none of those traits.

5. deedletree

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Poor thing. . . the one thing he did have going for him was that he hatched from a huge blue egg. That was all I was really interested in when I bought him, that he would make huge blue eggs.

6. deedletree

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    So, breed aside, what traits are tipping you off to roo-ish-ness? I've been poring over any photos I can find online, and keep coming back to not being certain with these two.

7. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Well, at 10-12 weeks old only a cockerel would have that red of a comb. Pullets usually don't start pinking up until they are at POL (around 5-6 months).

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Uhh, true Araucanas in the U.S. standards do not have beards or muffs. And their legs are supposed to be willow, not slate..

9. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    My bad, I'm no Araucana expert unfortunately [​IMG] but still, I see no Araucana in that cockerel.

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My pullets pinked up around 8 weeks and started growing wattles by 11, but cockerels are further developed by that point. I see roosters. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by