Tailless Americauna from Townline Hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by vivaciouswoman, Mar 12, 2018.

1. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Songster

Sep 14, 2015
    Here is our beloved Baby Dude. All his life, he has been missing those expected full, flowing tail feathers, and a few months ago I began to wonder if he could be tailless or rumpless. (I assume there is a difference, and I would think he’s tailless.) So I finally called Townline Hatcheries, where he came from last spring, today. They said they have never had a reported tailless out of their Americauna lines, and if he is, he is a mighty special guy! I’ll add a few pictures for your thoughts. They will call me back about possibly examining him. It would be cool to see his genetics go into something other than our breakfast plates!!

Attached Files:

LilJoe likes this.
  2. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
    Looks like an Easter Egger with some Araucana blood.
    Completely normal :)

Cyprus likes this.
  3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I agree. It doesn't look like a purebred Ameraucana. I am pretty sure it has Araucana blood.

LilJoe likes this.
  4. vivaciouswoman

vivaciouswoman Songster

Sep 14, 2015
  5. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    :rolleyes: They might be higher grade EEs since they all lay blue/green, but if they aren't separating colors or breeding to a color standard, they really can't be justifiably separated from other EEs.

DaviJones likes this.
  6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    and the link says...

Egg colors can include blue, green, pink, or olive drab

But if they were pure Ameraucanas they would always only lay blue eggs.

7. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Ah, I didn't see that. I was looking for it in the fine print. They are EEs.

featherhead007 likes this.
  8. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    I'm pretty sure Easter Egger is a term referring to any chicken that lays unusual colored eggs but can not be classified as an actual breed. So, a hybrid that lays unusually colored eggs like blue, green, and olive. Most hatcheries that have Ameraucanas actually have a bird that is a hybrid Ameraucana, the breeding stock they get the eggs from was tainted over time but still retains mostly Ameraucana genetics, these birds are extremely similar to a Ameraucana but still do not qualify as one and are still just Easter Eggers. That hatchery definitely has these EE, not purebred ameraucanas.

9. so what then do those breed judges want anyway? camoflage? pladd? pokadots? gezzzz!

10. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Definitely some Araucana in there! Maybe some EE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: