tails and gender question- pics added

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Is it always true that when a chicks tail feathers grow in the roo's have a tent shape and the pullets are more "fanned" out? Or is that just true for certain breeds?

This is "Itty Bitty" - the runt - her tail is coming in more fanned out:

10160_avatar0025.jpg

10160_avatar0026.jpg

This guy just likes to pose (he thinks he's sexy):

10160_avatar0027.jpg

You can kind of see on this one how it carries it's tail up higher and they are in more of a "^" shape.

10160_avatar0029.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it works in certain breeds. I have all pullets and had some with tent shaped tails and others that were fanned out. I have heard that the ones who get their tail feathers faster are pullets (picking ones with longer tails has worked for me so far).

Tails do not really mean anything. You really just need to wait to watch for comb growth. They are a bit too young to tell yet.

It seems to me that people want to focus on one thing, the comb, the tail feathers, the legs; when it's really the overall picture you want to look at.
Got a 5 week old chick that is not feathering as much as the others (especially across the wing bows and back) AND that has longer stronger legs AND is showing a larger pinker comb AND has a pointed set of tail feathers? Chances are you've got yourself a roo.

Back
Top Bottom