Tails down? Completely stumped!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reurra, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    So a few weeks back, my sussex pullet seemed to have cocci. So I treated her for it, but she still runs around, acting normal with her tail down. Her full brother has wry tail, so I dont know if that might be a factor, but for now she acts normal in every way, but has her tail down. I think she may be at the bottom of the pecking order too.

Anyhow, now my 6 week old Buff Orpington chicks have their tails down. They have had them down since moving them out to the coop about 3 weeks ago. Its been warm and humid for several weeks. I treated them with corid for 1 week and had them on medicated chicks starter since. Tails are still down. I checked for mites, dusted for them too. They shake their heads too, but have no respiratory issues that I can find.

I have them on tetracycline, since thats is all I have to try. Vitamine booster and ACV in the water.

Can chicks this young get worm overloads? If so, is it even safe to worm them? Im completely stumped, not to mention worried sick. This seems to only be happening to my pure breed birds, none of my cross breed birds have had any trouble.

We have had some serious masquito problems this year as well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. Reurra

Reurra Crowing

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by