tainted feeds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aveca, Aug 28, 2010.

1. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Has anyone heard anything about the feeds that we use being tainted with salmonella? hillendale and the other mass egg farm were selling thier feeds out to different distributors.

A lot of these con-glomorate farms sell thier products out to farm-tractor or other feed suppliers,
    Ive been waiting for dep of ag or FDA or somone to let us know that feeds sold here or there are safe to use for poultry. Im calling our feed store mon morning and asking...its almost like they are asleep or somthing.I think its a prett important issue, My chickens just tested neg for salmonella in june..Im going to be more than a little ANGREY , mostly at how long its taking for someone to wake up long enough to tell us something about just how far this has made it out into the feed distributors AND i WISH THEY WOULD JUST POST A QUICK NOTE THE FEED AT THIS STORE IS SAFE FOR POULTRY, BEEF, GOATS , WHATEVER..

If anyone has heard anything can they please let us know...The feed store I use makes thier own...but what they use has to come from somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Seems like they would have to jump through hoops to contaminate chicken feed with salmonella. Especially since the process of making feed (other than whole grain mixes) includes baking at very high temperatures.

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Inspectors have had a very hard time trying to get info out of these people, but speculation is they chomped up sick hens an made them back into feeds and fed it back to hens and also sold out on the market to feed stores but I havnt heard anything about that yet..And info at this point is scketchy....Im just wondering if it affects we the feed buyer in any way..We just passed pullorum salmonella tests in june and I sure dont want bits of it mixed into our feeds...Does anyone know where these feeds stores get thier feeds or even if they are testing it ? I know they dont like to creat panic but I need to know.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Poultry feed cannot legally contain any sort of animal protein except porcine (pork) and fish; even if it DID, the high heat used to make the feed would kill salmonella. Feed manufacturers are inspected regularly. Certainly, ANYTHING is possible, but I can't imagine that they would really expect to get away with it. I stand by my earlier statement; a feed manufacturer would have to TRY HARD to infect the feed with salmonella for it to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by