Take a guess/ it's not an Ayam Cemani.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vetgirl00us, Aug 9, 2011.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I bought some eggs off Ebay that were supposed to be Malay but these are not purebred and these are what hatched. They are brother and sister and vary in size greatly. As you can see they are black skinned and even the mucous membranes inside their mouths is a dark gray color. The breeder did refund me for the eggs since he could not tell me what had gotten into his pen and bred his malays. He had several other breeds like sumatra and I believe Langshan.

If this is something new I'd like to cross breed them to something to keep that black skin and meat they have and have an American Ayam Cemani lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this on is the rooster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    his sister/ pullet

[​IMG]
    what they looked like as chicks

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    No clue, but those birds are something special, I think!

3. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    yes that is them and the pullet is bald. I'm assuming that she will never be big enough to lay eggs.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Wow.. some of the Meanest looking birds I have ever seen...[​IMG]

Believe me unless the Sumatra or langshan had Fibromelanotic in them there is NO way they can the the parent... .. maybe the extremely rare Ayam Cemani or very very rare Rapanui/Olmec Fowl....?

Edit..you have something awesome on your hands keep using Malay hens with colored shanks(recessive id+ allows FM to express)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Thank you, I plan on keeping both even though I don't think the little female will worth anything since she is so small. I do have a pair of Malays at present and so far what I've hatched from them comes sex linked I believe. The pullets hatch yellow and turn wheaton and the one I think is a roo hatched black with dark shanks and he has stayed black so far. I also have O Shamo and Sumatra. So you think crossing with a Malay is best? Maybe that guy was working on something he didn't want to tell me about??? He said his son collected eggs and marked them so I think a mistake was made as I saw pics of his Malay birds and they look nothing like what I hatched.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:For that mean looks, Yeah....[​IMG] anything you cross to him will yield Black skinned hens(50% if he is split for Fibromelanotic) get the best looking hens of the bunch and keep mating them to him...Untill you get a son that looks just like him...

7. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Will do. Thanks for your information on genetics.

8. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    It looks to me like a sumatra cross. Sumatras have purple skin

9. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Ummm . . . those look like guinea crosses to me . . . [​IMG]

(The hen at least)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by