MIchickenlady

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Battle Creek, Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
HELP!
If you would take a look at my pics and offer advice about what to do with my very soggy run, I would VERY much appreciate it. I know lots of West Michiganders have this issue right now-fast spring thaw and rain. But I wasnt prepared for this sight today...
I'm limited where I can have my run due to village zoning. The run pretty much hasto be where it is...a lil bit in a low spot, with permission on neighbors property thats zoned agricultural.
Its a nasty mess. I threw bark, pine needles and grass clippings in there a couple weeks ago, but its worse. how to build it up? What a mess. Any ideas? our garage was flooding too, so hubs tarped the doors and that runoff is contributing to the flooded run.
Thank you so much in advance:)

20180221_152108.jpg
:barnie
20180221_152015.jpg
20180221_152108.jpg 20180221_152031.jpg 20180221_152015.jpg 20180221_151914.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like at least part of your run/yard is in a low spot. Can you trench to drain those areas? Can you drain the excess water to a ditch? If you have such an option, I'd trench around the entire run, placing the removed soil into the run. Put plastic drainage tile into the trench, and back fill it with pea stone. Run the drainage tile to a ditch. Then convert the run to deep litter.

I'm adding this pic to show the constraints were dealing with. Our actual property ends a foot off that cement driveway. The farmer neighbor put up that wire fence and said we can use that property, its zoned ag, but its not ours. We're right in town, I want to keep the run as nice as possible to minimize complaints about smell or flies...I'm worried. Thanks again for any advice!!
20180221_152339.jpg

Looks like at least part of your run/yard is in a low spot. Can you trench to drain those areas? Can you drain the excess water to a ditch? If you have such an option, I'd trench around the entire run, placing the removed soil into the run. Put plastic drainage tile into the trench, and back fill it with pea stone. Run the drainage tile to a ditch. Then convert the run to deep litter.
I'm good with doing deep liter-maybe build some kind of something around the bottom edge to keep the liter in the run...but the water? i dont think we can get as involved as tileing/trenching...i dont know?

I think you should make a raised garden bed about 8-12 inches tall out of cinder blocks, then fill the area in with topsoil and secure the run fencing on top of the cinder blocks. Also adding a roof to your run would be beneficial in preventing water from sitting in the run. Best of luck and I hope you resolve this problem quickly

HELP!
If you would take a look at my pics and offer advice about what to do with my very soggy run, I would VERY much appreciate it. I know lots of West Michiganders have this issue right now-fast spring thaw and rain. But I wasnt prepared for this sight today...
I'm limited where I can have my run due to village zoning. The run pretty much hasto be where it is...a lil bit in a low spot, with permission on neighbors property thats zoned agricultural.
Its a nasty mess. I threw bark, pine needles and grass clippings in there a couple weeks ago, but its worse. how to build it up? What a mess. Any ideas? our garage was flooding too, so hubs tarped the doors and that runoff is contributing to the flooded run.
Thank you so much in advance:)

View attachment 1271900 :barnieView attachment 1271902 View attachment 1271900 View attachment 1271901 View attachment 1271902 View attachment 1271903
1235265-37a6c6c2eec87c0fa15983d1ff7429fd-gif.1271937
An option would to build a deck within the run. Sq footage isn't that much of a financial burden. The deck can be hosed off periodically.
slo_comfort-gif.1271939

Honestly, I would deep litter it, and as swampy as it is now, you need stuff that will raise the level FAST. Any chance you can get a load of wood chips (NOT shavings, actually chunks of wood) or mulch in there? Then you can put the "nicer" bedding on top of that, but the wood will give it some bulk right off and raise them out of the muck, plus it will break down, but slowly, and pure mulch or wood chips doesn't really do anything gross when waterlogged, so it shouldn't get stinky or anything like that.
I would suggest 1/2 inch hardware cloth, or even landscaping fabric to hold the litter in without holding the water in.
It might also help to put some of those black plastic drainspout pipes (the ones with the holes in them every few inches) under the wood chips, so once the water works it's way to the lower levels of the litter it will go into the pipes and run out to the sides of the run and dump out on the grass (and the water will have some chicken poo in it, so your grass will grow like crazy after it rains)

Back
Top Bottom