Take a look at my beautiful kitchen garden-lettuce, collards, cabbage

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ruth, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Well that's what was in my garden. I looked out my kitchen window today and saw this:

[​IMG]

Looks like some of my peafowl discovered my garden and picked it clean. Look at how they all looked up when they saw me at the window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

OH NO! LOL Are they your birds? Or are they YOURS NOW? LOL

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I can see what their thinking "how'd we get in here?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am trying so hard not to laugh. Sorry for the loss, Monique.

I can't even begin to think of a garden here yet!

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    They're mine. I have six of them. I've raised them from day olds that hatched Fourth of July. They sleep with my chickens in their coop and free range all day long. They've started roosting in high trees lately. They really loved my garden. You should have seen the collards before they got them.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was all set to see a beautiful garden plot and I burst out laughing when I saw the picture, LOL. It's like having children....things you thought you treasured become just meaningless objects when the kids smash them to smithereens, dont they? Yep, I know that all the hostas I so carefully planted when we moved here, that were just taking off well, will never get more than a half-inch out of the ground again as long as I freerange my birds.

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Go ahead and laugh. I thought it was quite funny myself. One of them even fanned for me, he was so proud of himself.

[​IMG]

The little garden area sits outside my kitchen window and I have a lone chicken that hangs out in the garden all day avoiding roos and I don't mind sharing with her. I actually plant things she will like and she had been nibbling on the collards, every so daintily. She can easily jump the hedge that surrounds the garden.

[​IMG]

The peacocks actually discovered it yesterday, they were in there when we left for church and were still there three hours later when we returned. So, they went back first thing this morning to finish off the stalks they left.

Right now they are dustbathing in the newly cleaned out garden so I guess it's ready for new plantings - I'm thinking radishes - something they can't get to easily. I know I need to wire it in if I'm going to continue using it as a garden but I'm planning on putting in a large, fenced, raised-bed garden soon.

8. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Ruth, the peafowl were looking up at you, wanting to know when you are going to give them another great treat like this!
    Speckled Hen you just answered a question I have been asking myself. Have a hosta bed I was considering moving into the back yard, but the chickens free range there. Thanks for saving my plants.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Hey welcome back Cyn - How are you feeling? I've missed you - we all have. You know, if I broke my ankle and had to have surgery and bed rest, everything around here would be dead in a matter of days. You are so blessed to have a helpful hubby. Mine can't even seem to remember to close the bathroom door to the bathroom that has a box of baby chicks sitting on the floor and I'm always finding the waterers sitting by the hose or outside sink where he "was gonna fill them" but never did so no one has any water.[​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, I'm surviving. My poor bum hurts from sitting on it all the time, though!
    blossom hen, my hostas were untouched the first year my girls roamed. Then one of the guineas started eating them like lettuce and the chickens looked at them like, "Hey, I didnt know you could eat those!" and then my hostas disappeared. This past year, my beautiful beds of lambs ear disappeared in one afternoon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by