Take a Ride on the Rottweiler Express

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redyre Rotties, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Milton pulling me in the cart. A 6+ minute clip

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

wow cool! I think I could teach my dog to pull a cart, but I haven't found a cart that I could afford [​IMG] so I'm on the drawing board about it.

She wouldn't be able to pull me anyway, but I think it will be fun!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Rebakah, I never suspected that the southern end of a northbound Rottie could be so fun! I am totally in love with Milton! [​IMG]

When do the lights come into play?

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Aww, I love rotties. He has such a cute butt!

Is that a proper pulling harness for him? If so, where did you get it? Can you add pictures of your cart too? I'm really interested in doing this with my Am Staff/American bulldog mix (he's built like a 65 lb rottie).

5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Such a cute butt! [​IMG] You can just hear all the dogs in your neighborhood bark as he goes by - that must be all the ladies howling their approval of such a handsome man! [​IMG]

I could sure use him to pull my sled over all this snow here so I can get my mail every morning....

6. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I gotta say I never would have thought of a rottie pulling a cart. I knew they were strong but I definitely underestimated their strength. This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time. Milton is truly a classy guy.

7. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

You can use the cart to have him haul feed to the coops too or firewood to the house......
    the list is endless......

8. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    It just gets better with every post!! Love it!!

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Thank you everyone. He is still learning, but wow, this is so much fun. Draft work is one of the historical purposes of this breed. They have taken to it very naturally!

10. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Rebakah,
    I need to ask how you learned to train him to pull. I have the puppy/training harness and many years ago tried to teach mine to pull. Well I let him drag the traces and he was fine. I tied noisy things to the traces and he was fine dragging it. I even tried to see if he would pull a cinder block around the back yard. He did.

I don't have a proper cart and that may be my problem, but I hooked a wagon up to the traces and he thought it was chasing him and tried to go in circles. I tried several times and it was the same each time. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by