1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Take baby chicks from mother hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jasonwarford, Mar 9, 2017.

1. jasonwarford

jasonwarford New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    We have a hen that got broody a while back.

Last we saw she was sitting on 6 eggs.

This afternoon we found two chicks with her! We have 20ish chicks that we just hatched in an incubator and they are in a brood box inside of the house.

The question is whether we should take them inside. I've read that we should leave them with the momma hen, but it's supposed to get down in the low 20's and teens overnight for the next week or so.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We put all our hens with new chicks in a pen to themselves that is pretty small, regardless of the time of year. During the day if it is cold, they get a heat light. At night we turn the light off, and the mother hen will make sure they stay warm under her. We have partially enclosed elevated pens that help keep warmth in too.The hen gets a little help this way in keeping her babies protected from predators and also the other flock members. Once the babies are four to six weeks old, we let them out with the flock with their mother, so she can teach them what they need to know. In summer we put the hen and chicks in our chicken tractor during the day, so they get some sun and fresh air. If you don't have a separate pen for them and are worried about cold, you can still bring them all inside or in a sheltered area like a garage, or maybe a dog crate or something. I think it is always better to leave chicks with their mother, they will be more well adjusted with her. And I think it is kinder to the hen too as she would be distressed at losing her chicks at this point.

Welcome to BYC and congrats on your babies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The mother Hen will keep her Chicks warm....They are the best at raising Chicks....I have two sets of Broody Hens and Chicks....They are doing great .....

I say leave them with Momma...They will not freeze cuddled under her....

Best of luck...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by