Take chicks away from mama hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dylon, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Dylon

Dylon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    I have a broody polish hatching some cochin eggs. She seems determined to be a mom. I just raised up some chicks from TSC so the brooder is still set up, but if the mom is going to hatch them, should I take them away from the mom and put them in the brooder? They are bantam cochins eggs in a pen with standard sized chicks...

2. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    just watch her, when they hatch if she is a good momma hen then you could probably* leave them, but if she isn't then you should put them in the brooder

1 person likes this.
  3. Dylon

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    Thanks. I have always felt that mom should do the job, but I never planned to hatch bantam chicks under a full sized hen. They will just be so tiny !

4. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    yeah banty chicks are super duper tiny:) well, hope for the best:) how many eggs are there?

5. Dylon

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    9.... That might be too many but she covers them easily. If it is I can take her eggs away from her to Make room for the banty eggs. :) what do you think

6. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    wait, so you have nine eggs under her now and are going to put some banty eggs under her? How many banty eggs are going under?

7. Dylon

Jan 5, 2013
    Brewton, AL
    No. She has two of her own eggs and the rest are banty cochins. I actually might take her two eggs because she has a slight scissor beak condition and I don't want her passing that to her chicks

8. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    ok, yeah I think you could leave all those under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by