Take em out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mochicken, Dec 4, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have some chicks that are around 5 weeks old, fully feathered and eating and drinking fine. I know people beat this to death but can I put them outside? They are inside and its nice and toasty in here lol, at night we have been in the 30's and the 50's during the day would be a warm day. Should I put them out in a heated coop with access to a fenced run?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You want to avoid extreme, sudden temperature shifts because that's stressful. I would avoid a sudden temperature shift of 20 or more degrees.

So, if your indoor temp is 70, put them out in the coop only if there's a warm spot there at 50 degrees or so. One thing you could do is gradually acclimate them to the coop during the day, bringing them back indoors at night.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put them out and provide a supplemental heat source from which you can gradually wean them.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:X2
    besides the dust, that's why I never keep birds inside. They need to acclimate.

5. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I converting a 6ftx6ft shed outside to a 3 level brooder with a ceramic heater but I have a back injury and cant work on it right now [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sourland can relate to the back injury and how it can impede a person.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by