Take something over to your Food Bank/Pantry NOW!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickiebaby, Nov 26, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    There's a big run on free food as so many are hurting for $$$ right now.

Can you take twenty minutes of your day to run a bag of groceries over to your local food pantry/food bank/church/synagogue/mosque?

Buy a bag of goodies for the occasion or donate extras from your own kitchen. It will be so appreciated by those in need. Any of us may be the next one to need our community's help and compassion.

Give thanks, y'all, and here's to yummy meals with those we love.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    a very good post!! my sister volunteers at a food bank in a rather large town in MD, and she said that they are just not keeping up with the demand. so many of the people are heartwrenching in their need.

thanks for thinking of those less fortunate!

How blessed we are to have a means of food ( chickens/eggs, etc. ) when so many have none!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:So true, especially when you look at BYC's Thanksgiving menu thread!

Members of our church give food to the local food pantry every Sunday, but they still have run out this season.

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have members of my husbands family that go to the food bank, I just save a step and give directly to them. Charity starts at home.

5. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Quote:Strange that I should see this post today. Great minds must think alike. lol
    This morning I got up and fixed breakfast for all my dogs then I made oatmeal for DH and myself and made extra for the chooks. Right after I took the chooks out their warm breakfast there was a story on TV about how many food banks were out of food and people wouldn't be able to get food for Thanksgiving...It really SMACKED me. I just fed my chickens a warm breakfast and kids are going to go hungry!!! I started to cry. Walked out into the shop and told DH my story and he left about an hour later and went to the store and got enough stuff for about 3-4 Thanksgiving dinners plus a bunch of pasta and sauce etc. and dropped it off at our local food bank. It's one of those things you always mean to do but just forget in the rush of life. I will NOT forget to do this in the future!
    I will still think of all the people who are doing without tomorrow but at least I will know that 3 families are having dinner.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We took 47 pounds of turkey to ours yesterday! You should have seen their eyes light up! [​IMG] When I told them they were fresh never frozen just processed on Sunday they went straight into the oven to feed folks today (since they're closed on Thanksgiving).

7. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Gave 4 20 lb turkeys this morning..Then I saw this post.... [​IMG]

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Ever notice that those who have less give more? [​IMG]

Good post! Run it again next month!

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    My word, I just love everyone on this board right now! Keep on going; let's keep this post hopping and keep the givers giving!

Never too late to take some food where it's needed. We can do it!

10. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Maybe for Christmas we could keep track of how many food banks the BYC'ers donate to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by