1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Take the egg out of the bator or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlels, Nov 11, 2011.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    We are attempting our first batch in our incubator and we are scheduled to take them out of the turner on Monday. I candled all of them the other day and one from our RIR wasn't fertile/growing so I took it out. All other 10 had the dark "blobs" consuming most of the egg. When I candled them again last night (why is candling so addicting????), another egg from the RIR, I believe it hers anyway, has a visible ring and a few veins but the rest of the egg isn't even remotely as dark as the rest of the eggs. Did this one just not make it? Should I take it out or is it going to explode? Should I leave it and just see if it's a little behind the rest? We did put them all in on the same day although a few of them were a couple hours later than the rest....

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Leave it until Monday, at least.

3. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    How will I know on Monday if I should take it out or not? Does it hurt to just let it in there and see if it ever hatches? If I do that, when do I give up on it?

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Is Monday lockdown? The eggs should be very full on lockdown. You will know and clearly see the difference. Chances are it will not explode.

5. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    Monday is lockdown. I will compare it with the other RIR egg, I guess at that time.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sometimes, I've noticed that the veins can appear to be a ring, but is not.
    It won't hurt to wait. There's always 1 or 2 that are "iffy" when I incubate, so I leave them in until I know for sure.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd leave it if it passes the sniff test. At lockdown sniff the egg. If it smells like a rotten egg, toss it, GENTLY!!!!! If it smells no different from the other eggs, it should not explode whether it is developing or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by