Take The Eggs Or Leave The Eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by c0dywhite, Jan 17, 2013.

1. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I have a female Rouen, a female Blue Swedish, & a male Blue Swedish Duck & I was wondering if I should leave the eggs & let the Rouen sit or put them in the incubator. One of the ducks started laying on 1/11/13. I put the three eggs I got since in the incubator because I didnt want the eggs to freeze.
    Should I wait to see if she'll sit or what do I do?
    -thanks!

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    well if you want more duckies i would leave them as it means you wont have to worrie about incubation brooding ect the duck will do it all for you :)

3. ZakoHero

ZakoHero Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    Very true,I would leave them and let the mother do the job and when the Blue Swedish starts laying you should take the eggs.

4. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Will the eggs not freeze? Its been pretty cold here & it's snowing & hailing outside right now?

5. ZakoHero

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    No the mother should keep them at the right temp by plucking feathers and tuning them.But are you sure that they are fertile?

6. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I'm pretty sure, I've seen the male "do his business" & I found an egg laying in the pen & I cracke it open & it was fertile.
    The eggs are light blue, does anyone know which duck laid it? A Rouen or Blue Swedish?

7. ZakoHero

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    No idea,as I still havent got my ducks.lol[​IMG]

8. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Okay thanks anyway lol. If they hatch I'll post pics! When the ducks lay today I'm going to leave them & see what she does. Some we got a bit o snow the ducks will stay in.

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Is one of your birds broody? If not, you may as well collect the eggs and either save them for when she is, put them in the incubator, or eat them. At this time of year, they're not likely to be viable for long if they sit around outside without a broody hen on them.

You'll know when your hen(s) goes broody because she'll pick a spot and not get up from it. She'll growl at you if you try to reach under her, and probably peck or bite at you too. THEN you know you can put some fertile eggs under her and expect they'll hatch.

My silkie hen just hatched out three babies despite the cold weather (not that it gets VERY cold here, but it has been below freezing at night), and they're doing fine. But you can't force a hen to go broody if she's not ready.

By the way--if you're putting eggs in the incubator, it's best to add them all at once, not staggered as you find them. You'll find that a staggered hatch is very difficult to manage successfully.

Good luck!

10. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    Okay thanks for the info. Idk if the ducks are broody yet bc they jut started laying & I got a Rouen & I ordered them from Meyer Hatchery & it said they are broody. The ducks are in with my silkies, so when they start laying again they'll prob lay on the duck eggs too.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by