Take the Plunge: jump from perch

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chilebound, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    My chickens love to roost high, I had a step up roost with three rungs but all tried too fit on the top one. So I made more and higher roosts for them and gave them a latter to climb to get up to the top. In the morning they jump off instead of climbing or hopping down one rung at a time. The roost is over six feet tall. they hit the ground hard as i have clipped one wing so they dont fly out of thier run (five foot high). ANy suggestions? I worry about injury--my rooster has been limping and I wonder if this is the cause. Should I lower the roosts?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I think I would worry about bumblefoot if they are landing hard. Given that they have a clipped wing and refuse to use the ladder, I would lower the roosts to protect them from themselves. They'll be no worse off for a lower roost and will be better off avoiding any type of potential injury.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    To stop the fighting over the top rung make all the roosts at the same height. This trick has worked for me for 40+ years.

My roosts are 40 inches off the ground, they start at 6 feet from the back wall and are spaced approximately 18 inches apart, again all at 40 inches off the ground. I don't clip wings because I use netting over the run but a ladder in my set up would probably get used by many.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by