Take them or leave them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allanimals21, Jul 18, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Honestly I'd rather take them. I like to hand raise them. My muscovy hens are hatching as we speak. I don't know wether to take them or leave them. I feel bad for her taking them but on the other hand I saw what the drakes tend to do with the hens and babies when the hen brings them out. Also they seem to be a little more skittish when momma raises them. Thats just my experience. What do you guys do and why?

2. Featherland

Featherland Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Take them if you want to but just remember it will be more work for you. Also, they will have to be big enough to fend for themselves when you re-introduce them.

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    oh I know...trust me. Last year I hand raised 80+ guineas. lol. I've already done some ducklings this year. Its tons more work. I was just wondering what others do. I wish I could let the momma hens raise some but...

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I never like leaving my hen and duckies with the drake around... I split them up atleast.. I dont like seeing what the pushy drakes do to them either. Mostly its ok, though.
    Hand raising them is good fun but yeah, loads of work [​IMG] maybe take a couple of ducklings to hand raise or something?
    Good luck

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would let the mother raise them just to defray the work load. Ducklings are a disaster. Gads!!! How can a handful of such tiny creatures create such a mess, I ask you? Save yourself a lot of time and effort and let Mom raise them up. Then tempt them to be tame with lots of treats once they are raised.

6. Let the mama raise them - just put up a cheap plastic temporary fenceing for the mama and babies to have a seperate fenced in area for them to keep them from the other ducks for a few weeks.

7. allanimals21

allanimals21 Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    well my problem is that we have predator issues. Everything is locked down at night. I don't have anything that I can lock down the momma and duckling in a seperate area from the general public

8. ahhh then I say take them up then. I wouldn't leave them to the drakes and other ducks - too much risk then.

9. allanimals21

allanimals21 Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    well the last hatch this one hen had she didn't really seem to care about the ducklings. She left them one day and that was that. Luckily they were about 5 weeks old not like 5 days but still they could have used her help and protecting. Instead I did it. I will have to get pics when they hatch. Not sure how long yet. One nest has some eggs that allready have a hole started the other nest I can just hear them chipping away inside.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I always take the new babies. I have in the past felt bad and left 1-2 babies with the momma but they usually end up "disappearing". I believe that losing a baby to a predator is harder on the momma than having me take them... at least they know me and know i wont hurt them and they will see them again soon.

I also don't have seperate pens for mommas and babies but they usually adjust very well and the babies are much friendlier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by