Taken by Impacted Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheGoodLifeGirl, Dec 7, 2013.

1. TheGoodLifeGirl

TheGoodLifeGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Scotland, UK
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

We sadly lost our beloved Barbara to impacted crop last week.
    I'd noticed she was being picked on by our other hen Margo for the past month, but nothing too serious, well it turns out I was wrong, Margo had been starving her when I wasn't looking. And I'd notice she'd lost a lot of weight yet had a big bulge where her crop was. I think she had been eating the straw from their nesting boxes at night when Margo couldn't get/notice her. So we brought her inside in the carrier box and gave her water with apple cider vinegar and garlic infused olive oil drops. After a couple days she was almost back to normal and even though she still hadn't thrown up whatever was in her crop, it had gone down and she seemed to be passing whatever it was?

[​IMG]

Barbara seemed well enough to go back outside, so we separated the run so that Margo couldn't attack her but they could still see each other and have their own space. This seemed to work, Barbara seemed very happy and Margo, well, she was just annoyed she couldn't get to Barbara through the fence whenever they got fed. All was going well till one morning I found Barbara in her favourite spot of the run fast asleep, oh so I hoped as I came closer, but sadly she had passed away that morning. We will miss her dearly, she was such a cuddly hen and would fall asleep in your arms. I'm going to miss our cuddles. But for now, we will be re-doing the coop in memory of Bab's our first hen. And getting some more chickens (this time some that will put Margo in her place)

I feel a bit like I let Barbara down by not noticing that she wasn't getting enough food and separated her sooner.
    Even though I've learned a lot from this, I still wish the outcome could have been better for Barbara.

Rest in peace darling.
    You will be missed x

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I am so so very sorry you lost your Barbara! It can be very difficult loosing a beloved pet. I too recently lost my beloved hen. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Sounds like she was very special. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you lost her. She will always be in your heart now. I pray God will comfort you during this very sad time. Again im very sorry for your loss..

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry about your Barbara girl, it is always hard to lose pets, she sounds like she was nice little hen. Good luck with your new chickens, new girls are a nice memorial to how special Barbara was that she made you like chickens so well. Don't beat yourself up about missing her illness initially, chickens can be so darn hard to treat since they are good at hiding when they aren't feeling well until they are quite sick.

4. TheGoodLifeGirl

TheGoodLifeGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Scotland, UK
    My Coop
    Thank you both for your kind words, yes, she was very good at hiding her illness until she'd gotten quite sick. Which I knew they do as otherwise the other hen's tend to turn on them or predators will suss them out as easy prey. But I was checking up on them because of that fact and still missed it.

5. AnimalQuackers

AnimalQuackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2013
    western Massachusetts
    We love them so much...I am so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by