1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Taking A Break from Horses... Advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by HorseLady1, Apr 14, 2017.

1. HorseLady1

HorseLady1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    So I took a break from horses about four months ago even though I own two of them myself. Don't worry I still take care of them, just I can't seem to get back into them. I feel awful because my 7 year old (green) arabian loves attention and loves being around me, but I just can't seem to want to be with them right now... It honestly sucks, but I think it's because my older boy is such a butt. I love him don't get me wrong, but he's such a pain, I've tried to send him to trainers and work on the ground and basics with him, but he refuses to work quietly. How do I get back into horses when he's such a chore to ride let alone deal with? He's never kicked me or bitten me, but it takes me more than ten minutes to catch him even when he's haltered, and he has kicked my mothers' wrist before. He hates other people besides me and its almost ridiculous. I love him, but he makes my life super hard. I don't know what to do with him anymore... I honestly want to focus on my younger boy, but I feel horrible not wanting to spend time with the older boy. What do I do? I know that it comes down to what I'm willing to do, but I'm at a loss here and need help.

KDOGG331 likes this.
  2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I would find a new home for your older horse. You are wasting a lot of time and energy on a difficult horse (and not enjoying it--which that's the whole purpose, to have fun) when you could be spending it with your young horse. Good luck to you!

KDOGG331 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by