Taking a goose away

wendigo

Chirping
6 Years
May 8, 2013
So we have 5 geese and a gander. I know that they are very social animals and they realise when something bad happened to one of them. When the time comes, we will want to put the gander in the freezer. How should I handle the situation so that the other geese aren't affected?

So we have 5 geese and a gander. I know that they are very social animals and they realise when something bad happened to one of them. When the time comes, we will want to put the gander in the freezer. How should I handle the situation so that the other geese aren't affected?

I have always heard you never let them see another one killed. They are very sensitive. I'd separate him for the girls the night before you butcher and keep them away from the area you are doing it. We do this even with our extra roos. We haven't butchered any geese so hopefully someone that has will give you more info.

I lost a goose last year to a goat attack. Her mate grieved for weeks. I was eventually able to give him goslings so he's have a new " purpose", but I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd starved himself to death over the loss.

When my gander lost his mate he was very lonely. I eventually got him girl goslings and some other goslings for the freezer. When we took the others out to send them to freezer camp he was upset. Within a day or so he and his 2 girls were fine. I think the geese will be fine because they have each other.

When my gander lost his mate he was very lonely. I eventually got him girl goslings and some other goslings for the freezer. When we took the others out to send them to freezer camp he was upset. Within a day or so he and his 2 girls were fine. I think the geese will be fine because they have each other.

Flockman I lost my beloved Sammie my very first white Sebastopol and his mate Ginger is still acting lost. She seems to really miss him as much as I do. I have to get her another mate when I can. If she misses him as much as I do she is one lonely goose.

Flockman I lost my beloved Sammie my very first white Sebastopol and his mate Ginger is still acting lost. She seems to really miss him as much as I do. I have to get her another mate when I can. If she misses him as much as I do she is one lonely goose.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom