Taking a tumble is most inconvenient

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
I took my 7-year-old roller skating yesterday for the first time. We were supposed to be going to a Girl Scout event for her, but were told the wrong time and ended up getting there just as it was ending. I asked the folks at the rink if they were closing up for the day or if there was going to be any skating later. Luckily we only had to wait 35 minutes or so for an open skate to start.

I wish I would have taken her when she was younger. She's really really tall for a 7-year-old and has very poor coordination and balance. She could barely stay on her feet and all of her falling looked like some actor hamming it up in a bad comedy scene. Honestly I thought it was funny, and she was enjoying herself despite how sore her rump is today (I am sure!). I managed to keep my feet through most of it, but she finally did manage to bring me down. She flopped down right in front of me, tripped me and I landed not on my rear, but just a bit above that on the left hand side. And, she was holding my hand through out all of that and wouldn't let go, so my left arm was wrenched badly under me. Felt like my shoulder was being twisted and popped away from my torso. Ouch. Needless to say I told her that I wasn't mad at her at all, but that we had to be done skating for the day because I was experiencing some pain. We hobbled back to the skate rental counter and got our shoes back.

I treated her to a movie since we had spent less than an hour skating. When we got home I took aspirin right away and felt OK for most of the night. Tonight however... man oh man. Time to go find the aspirin again. I am so completely sore all on my left side. And I had all these plans to be moving heavy stuff this week and building some new nest boxes. Not sure how I'm going to manage. I suppose I'll pull out my art board and do some painting until I'm all healed up.

If it keeps getting worse and doesn't get better after the first week, I'll make an appointment. I'm not immobile at all and can fully use my arm, even if it hurts when I raise it up. I think the most he'd tell me is to take some anti-inflammatory medication at this point.

Oh Cass I feel I your pain!!!!! I won't share the whole story as to not hijack the thread, but I was thrown from a horse running at full speed and had a bruise the size of watermelon on my side. OUCH!

Get checked out. I feel a few weeks back on my tush and put my hands out to stop my fall. I hit my right hand pretty good and it still hurts when i bent it back or try to put a lot of weight on it. Guess it was a hairline fracture or something, too late now. Anyways make sure to see a doc if you dont get better within the a couple days or the pain gets worse.

Oh yes, we grown-ups seem to not bounce like we did when we were kids. It's great that you took her skating, though. My sister and I used to go every Saturday, we had lessons. I remember doing "routines" in the driveway in front of the house as a child. So fun, I felt like a figure skater. Thank goodness there aren't any videos of that lying around!

Ya know, if she is tall and long limbed, rock climbing (even at a climbing gym) might be a good coordination builder. Though I wouldn't suggest letting her hang onto you while climbing
wink.png
lol.png

debiraymond, yeowch! That must have been very scary. I get nervous going any faster than trotting. Did anyone tell you you were lucky not to have broken anything??

conny63malies, yeah after getting up this morning I think I'm going to schedule an appointment for tomorrow. It's way worse now. What did they tell you they could have done to help/fix a hairline fracture? Did not getting it fixed leave you with any problems?

FrenchHen, thanks. I'm going to head off for one of those here in a little while. Sounds heavenly.

AngieChick,
lol.png
perhaps my daughter will be thankful my mother wasn't able to come along with her video camera (which she so desperately wanted to do!). She had to watch my other little one for me.
smile.png
I'll have to look into rock climbing! I bet she would love that. And don't worry, I'll be standing waaaaaay back!!

English Chick, thank you.
smile.png
I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to do it myself here.

Quote:
It hurts if i do push ups or pull my hand back. I am not entirely sure its a hairline fracture but it has a signs of it,
unusual stress to the area(due to the fall),
some pain and tenderness when weightbearing...I never went to a doc my. DH has some medical training due to army and tole me what he thought it was. It doesnt cause me too much trouble since it is on my right hand and i am a leftie. Just no push ups right now.
I couldnt afford a cast or some kind of braceing, i'm a mom.

Back
Top Bottom