Taking away 5 wk old chicks from Mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 4, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    My chicks are 5 wks old. now...Banties. The DH is getting angry cause they are locked in the pole barn at night & the pole barn has a work bench etc. in it. They are old enough to fly up on stuff & they are pooing all over everything! Big mess now.

I want to take all the little girls & put them in a cage & start handling them more to make them friendlier. It has gotten down right cold the last few nights & I worry about them. There are 9 of them.

I plan on putting down straw & then top it off with pine shavings to keep them warm & cover the cage with a tarp. The other half of the cage is wire bottom so there will be ventilation.

I thought I would let her keep her boys & start training them to the goat barn where the other banties roost. But the boys will eventually go to the auction soon I hope. (I feel bad about that).

My question is.....are they girls going to ok at night in that cage? Or are they to young yet? Should I keep one of the little roos? or take them all to the auction?

Any other advise? Thanks![​IMG]

2. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I should also mention that they were hatched outside & they have been outside since day one with mama....other than I trained them at night to the pole barn.
    Thanks!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are they still using mom to go under and warm up? That would be my only concern. If not, then I don't see any reason why you can't separate them.

Jody

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Could you put momma in the cage with them for a few more weeks just to keep them warm if needed?
    I see no harm in that and you could still handle them to tame them down...

Oh please do not take the roosters to auction..[​IMG]

Let me plead their case... I go to auctions twice a month and I know where most of the birds go... Even the banties can be sold for sacrificial worship purposes...
    Don't even want to think about what happens..
    I live in Indiana and it is popular here. I usually bid against the ones who buy them for that. I have ALOT of little guys running around here and they do not eat much [​IMG]

5. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sometimes the little ones still try to warm under mama, but some don't too. There are 13 of them & they are getting pretty big already & she is not big enough....[​IMG] They have their feathers. Yes, I could put mam in there too for a while.

I have been trying to sell of give away the roos. I hate taking them the auction & I can't cull them myself, so what to do??

Lilchick, you come & take the boys? [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Maybe you could hang a sign at a local feed store to offer them to a good home. I would keep them with mom a little longer. If you look under the wings, there are likely still fuzzy patches that don't have feathers yet. Most birds take at least 6 weeks to feather in and some as long as 8 weeks.

Jody

7. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Yeah, I got mama & caught all the babies this evening & put them in a coop. I felt bad taking them away from her yet so the compromise was putting her in the coop with them.

I have put free signs in the feed stores & on Craigs List too. No takers for the roos. [​IMG]

8. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    If I were closer I would take the little roos .... My hubby and I take bike trips on the Harley. At least 2 times a year to Michigan..Maybe I could put them in carrier strapped on back of my seat!
    Believe me I would love to haul more things on the bike but hubby says only what fits in saddle bags...[​IMG]

9. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    We'll just have to rig up a wind proof bird cage you can mount on your saddle bags....[​IMG]

I think I just found a guy to take Henry, my big roo...he says he'll give him a good home, I hope he will. [​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have 6 week olds and they are ALL feathered . I took the hen away from them at 2 weeks old . PLENTY of hay in the cage with food and water and they are just fine . Besides , what do you think happens when people order baby chicks from a hatchery ? they are away from their mother RIGHT AWAY .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by