Taking baby chicks from a broody hen.

Shanda

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Athol, ID
Rosie has started to hatch her eggs. We want to raise them in the garage for a while so they will get more people attention. Do I wait until the last one is hatched to start moving the baby chicks or just take them after about 24 hours?

As soon as they are dry, otherwise, you might have a hen who will he abandoning the remaining eggs..
hmm.png

I know a lot of folks do this but I personally don't see the benefit. A good hen will give chicks much better, more attentive care than any box & heat lamp will. She can keep them protected & warm, and teach them lots of skills. You can still socalize them by bringing the hen treats that she will teach her chicks to enjoy. Most hens are ready to leave their chicks after 4-8 weeks and you'll still have lots of time to get them used to your handling then.

When I took a brood of chicks from a hen I waited until all of the eggs finished hatching and the chicks were fluffy dry, and did it at night. This is less stressful for her and the babies.

Thanks for the replies...I think I'll play the wait and see game. I already have 4 in a container from the feed store. I'm picking up two more tomorrow (because I wanted these specific breeds). Depending on how many of Rosie's eggs hatch...I may not have room in my container.

I just went out there to check on Rosie and another egg has hatched...the chickie is black. Can buff orphingtons start out black? I don't remember there being any eggs under her that would have produced a black chicken????

Back
Top Bottom