taking broody wwwwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to far

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by piecemaker, Feb 28, 2009.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    [​IMG]
    This is Sweet Mama. She went broody last week. I checked and she had 4 small eggs so I took those and replaced them with 6 RIR eggs. The next day I put 6 more eggs, so she should have 12 eggs RIGHT????
    WRONG when I went to check on the outside children she was getting a drink so I ran to check the eggs.

This is what I found
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday I found one of the RIRs in the bucket with her I'm guessing she wanted to share with Mama. That explains why I've found less eggs lately
    It takes her awhile to get them all under her
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    great pics, very funny and cute!

3. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Holy Cow!! [​IMG] She is awesome! Are you going to let her hatch them? I bet she would be one happy cluck!
    [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I hope you have a bator ready for the remainder of the eggs once she gets off the nest. They're all going to be hatching at different times if they were added at different times. Make SURE she doesn't collect any new eggs if you're not willing to finish incubating them! I had to mark my Silkie's eggs she was brooding so I could get the new ones out from under her every day.

5. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I took her eggs away and added the RIR eggs over a 2 day time frame. I think the other eggs came in the next day or so. Last year she sat on eggs that she laid over afew days time and they hatched and she was the best mama. I was going to candled them to see if they are at the same stage. I removed the white eggs,I'm guessing they are hers.

piecemaker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by