Taking care of 50 chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenmustach5, Dec 3, 2012.

1. chickenmustach5

chickenmustach5 New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    I just bought 50 chicks and i need to know how much food to feed them during the summer for 8 weeks and do you need any special lights for them does it need a top on top of the coop and if so can u use a tarp? Is this hard to do or is it easy? please help me ;)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You don't want a heat lamp under a tarp- been there done that and when it rained the bulb exploded.

3. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    How old are the chicks? Why do you need to know how much feed for 8 weeks in the summer?

4. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Summer or winter? If they are over 8 weeks old, they don't need heat lamp. I put my 6 week old chicks outside with no heat lamp, they will huddle together to keep themselves warm. Tarp is OK if you know how.

5. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    Did you really buy 50 chicks without knowing how to take care of them? Or did you order them for delivery in the spring/summer? This is a weird question to ask.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If this is a serious question, you need to do some serious reading in our learning center. Buy feed in 50 lb. bags and buy more when needed.

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I had over 50 birds this summer, what with incubating eggs, keeping layers, and growing roosters--we eat the young roosters. Pretty weird, starting with 50 birds. I started with just one, about 6 years ago. Then, I bought a clutch of 6, kept one hen, sold her 5 brothers at auction. THEN, I bought 10, through a local farm supply store's "chick days." Free roosters and an incubator--you fill in the rest.
    You're in the deep end, my friend.
    I was feeding 50 pounds a week this summer. Free ranging works for some people in the summer, but never in the winter. Free ranging also puts your birds up to local predators, and, if they lay, you may not know where it is until the eggs starts to rot, bc they'll lay EVERYWHERE. Next thing you're gonna tell us is that you don't own a coop. I don't either--STILL haven't built one, BUT I have 60 ft. of dog chain-link fencing and summer quarters AND 5 shelters I've built (summer only) AND I own a barn with a winter quarters stall.
    Good luck, you're gonna need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by