taking care of a baby chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by miguelmtz2157, Mar 4, 2015.

1. miguelmtz2157

miguelmtz2157 New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    pasadena tx
    I have a question one of my chickens killed 2 of her young so there was another chick on the way so i put it with a another chicken and he got pecketed and he has 2 cuts on each side of the head my question is how do i take care of him what can i put to make him feel better

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    First off,add probiotics to his water,and electrolytes to help him active and not so stressed.Try adding hydrogen peroxide to the sore.

3. janoel8-48

janoel8-48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    I would add something like Vaseline to cover the wound to make sure it doesn't get an infection.

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    That is exactly why I suggested Hydrogen Peroxide.It keeps it from getting infected,and heals it.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Vaseline will not help. Hydrogen peroxide is not a good choice, it burns even healthy skin. Generally people use Neosporin (NO caine ingredients), you can use saline solution to clean out a wound first. That poor baby, I hope he has a safe, warm brooder to go to. He isn't doing well with his own kind. If you give him a stuffed toy to cuddle with, and a mirror, so he thinks he is not alone, he should be happier.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry to hear of your losses and hurt chick! X2 on drumstick diva's advice. Neosporin or coconut oil are the best things to use on the wound. Make sure you spend lots of time cuddling and holding the baby. Just don't hurt it!

7. miguelmtz2157

miguelmtz2157 New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    pasadena tx
    Thank you all for youre suggestions and i have another question he dosent walk yet but hes trying to how long till i see improvement the breed is american game foul

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hope your chick is OK, you've gotten some good suggestions above on treating his injuries with neosporin etc, and about having a brooder set up for him. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks Make sure the chick is warm enough (check the temp with a thermometer) .. it may take him awhile to gather his strength again if he just hatched and was beat up by the hens. If he does not perk up and eat and drink after a couple of hours of resting, you may want to post in the Emergencies forum about him https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

9. miguelmtz2157

miguelmtz2157 New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    pasadena tx
    Hes starting to tuRn Fluffy i think hes gonna make it ill just have to wait till tomorrow and hopefully the wounds close thank you all for the aadvice

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by