Taking Care Of Your Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ButtersTheChicken, Apr 26, 2018.

1. ButtersTheChicken

ButtersTheChicken In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2018
    Don't crowd your chickens. Make sure they have a large enough space to run. Does your chickens eat rapidly within a hour their feed is gone? Well that can't be a problem anymore! Make sure you feed them at least 3 bowls of chicken feed, and plenty of scraps, rice wheat (all grains), broccoli, carrots (cooked or shredded), cabbage, cucumber, lettuce, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potato and tomatoes. Nesting homes! Depending on the size of your chicken you will need to find out how big, small, tall or, wide your nesting homes will be. But within 4-6 chickens your size nesting homes can be 12 inches, height 9 inches, depth 12 inches. Fence up any protective areas such as gardens, open spaces (that will allow them to get away) or very messy places. Your chickens should be very very happy if you follow these helpful notes!

Mckennas poultry likes this.
  2. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    How big should the bowls be?

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Enlightened Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome! :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Feeding ONLY complete feed is best, you should limit all treats to maybe once a week.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

007Sean likes this.
  4. ButtersTheChicken

Apr 26, 2018
    Well your feed will be perfect in just an ordinary dog food bowl! It's cheap and you don't have to waste your time finding a complete other bowl.

5. Mckennas poultry

Mckennas poultry Songster

Apr 24, 2018
    1F55EDE0-025B-4E11-B309-FAFE7395EDCD.jpeg FA12132A-440E-4E82-889F-063F0601CCD2.jpeg I like to raise my chickens the natural way
    I live in the country and I let my hens freerange around my Fields, our coop is located under two large evergreen trees, we have shaped the trees and put roosts at the top. If a chicken wants to go into the coop then it goes into the coop (the coop is always closed at night) if it wants to go into the tree then it goes into the tree, the only predators that there are where I live is foxes and badgers, so sleeping up in a tree wouldn’t be a problem, we do feed our chicks. Chicken mash every morning but they don’t eat much of it as they be in the fields getting food every day, coop size isn’t much of a problem as most of our small chickens take to the trees at night leaving space for our giant breeds. They are all happy and healthy. They lay eggs everyday in the nest boxes located in the coop.

Ducklover2 likes this.
  6. Mechtel8989

Mechtel8989 In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2018
    Akeley, mn
    I like the rooster with the white tail feathers. He looks really cool. The area we are thinking of building our run is partially under pine trees. I was wondering if that would cause any problems...sounds like your peeps do fine though.

7. ButtersTheChicken

Apr 26, 2018
    Don't worry you should be A okay! I bet they will love it there!!

KikisGirls likes this.
  8. Mechtel8989

Mechtel8989 In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2018
    Akeley, mn
    How high are the branches off the ground? How high can a average chicken fly?

9. ButtersTheChicken

Apr 26, 2018
    Well depending on how much you get someone or you clip the chickens wings they can fly up to about 6 feet

10. ButtersTheChicken

Apr 26, 2018
    You have beautiful chickens! But I don't think it's a good idea that there could be foxes and badgers around. May I question is there is a roof above the chicken coop that may protect them from getting hurt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: