Taking Chick from Mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoalLucker, Jun 13, 2017.

1. CoalLucker

CoalLucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    One of my hens just hatched out an egg, the only one so far. I was thinking of separating the chick from the mom and moving the chick to a brooder for various reasons. I've never done this before so I'm slightly hesitant. I was wondering if that's a bad idea or not. Would it cause distress or upset the mama hen? Should I do it, should I not-- Or is it neutral?

2. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Momma will take care of Chick as others Hatch, Chicks will be good for 2 days after hatch... Easier & healthier Chicks when Good Momma Raises. Why do you need to move chicks ?

HenOnAJuneBug likes this.
  3. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Bad idea. Mama knows best, and it is amazing to watch. Just put food and water close so the chick can easily get to it.

4. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    If mama is nesting off of the ground, make a nest for her at ground level and move hen, chick and eggs there. That way baby won't jump down and not be able to get back to her.

5. CoalLucker

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    She's not the best mama and the area she's hatching isn't the best either. would it be bad if i were to take her away?

6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If you take her chick away she will stress and search for the chick for days. It would be better to move her and chicks at night, once all the eggs that are going to hatch have hatched, to somewhere safer. Just because she was a bad mother once doesn't mean she won't do better this time around.

7. CoalLucker

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    it was just recently that she killed some chicks so i'm not confident she won't with these. would it be better to move the chick at night?

8. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If there's an immediate risk that she'll squash them or hurt them then do remove them, but if not it might be kinder to let her think it wandered off in the dark. Or you could observe her to make sure she's coping ok with the chick. Sometimes hens are terrible mothers, but second time round they seem more confident and comfortable with the whole process. If a hen fails a second time around people don't let them try again.

9. CoalLucker

Jul 18, 2016
    Indiana
    Alright. Ill probably move her tonigjt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by