Taking Chickens in to the butcher tomorrow; do I salt water bath or

doodledo

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 4, 2007
The woman that is doing our chickens said as she does them she puts them in water w/ice. We pick up and bag and freeze. I thought I read where you should let them soak in salt water? Then let them sit in fridge overnight? Any suggestions?

I believe I remember reading here that the salt water was for after you defrost them or just before you use them too cook. If you salt them before you freeze, they may not freeze right... yuck!

I just bag and freeze.

Haven't been at this very long, myself, but we froze ours as soon as we got them home, and it's still the best chicken we've ever had. :)

To thaw, we let them sit in the sink (empty) for a few hours (quite a few), then transfer to the fridge for another day or more. So, for us at least, thawing has been a two day process. But everything worked well.

The person who processes our chickens only lives about 6 miles away, and for $2/chicken, it's worth it to me. I dropped them off the night before, and picked them up in bags the next day. I keep thinking that some day I'll try processing one by myself, but it sounds like a lot of work.

After reading some of the posts as to how long it takes I am like forget it too. This lady has been highly recommended by others. She is an old farm woman who is set in her ways, she only charges $1.25 per chicken and for 50 she will be done in 3 hrs! So she must have a heck of a set up.
Thanks for the help I am just going to bag and freeze then.

Back
Top Bottom