1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taking chickens to kids' school this evening...tips...advice?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrsbos, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    My kids' school is having a science presenters night where people in various science professions man a booth at the school so that kids can learn about their field. Though my husband and I are meteorologists, the National Weather Service will already have a booth set up, so I thought I would put together an informational display about backyard chicken raising (agricultural science). I will also have a carton of many different colored eggs from different chicken breeds and my pet chicken(s).

So my question is, should I bring all 3 of my chickens (all EEs), or would it be better to just bring one? I have a pet carrier that could fit all three comfortably. One of my pullets in particular, Chickie, is super laid back and friendly, and I was just going to bring her. But all 3 chickens are so different and Touhou, though a bit higher strung, has the most beautiful golden feathers. I'd really love to bring all 3.

Chickie will have a chicken diaper on. She is comfortable in it. I wouldn't have a diaper for the other 2. We will be at the school for almost 3 hours (5:30pm-8:15pm). THey would normally all be asleep by then since it gets dark so early. I'll be sure to have water available and some treats...baby wipes for any messes....paper towels too...am I forgetting anything? Am I going to have a poop management issue for the chickens without diapers? I was planning on lining the pet carrier with newspaper covered by pine shavings.

I'm exicted and nervous at the same time about this whole adventure! I want my chickens to make a good impression!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Maybe bring all three in the carrier, but have just one out at a time, so the birds don't get worn out...and have hand sanitizer at the ready for the kids that HAVE to touch... [​IMG]

3. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    Interesting idea. I'm sure it will go as you planned. Good luck

4. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    They'll make an awesome impression because that's what chickens are, awesome. It sounds like fun, good luck.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I take a group of four for my purposes. They seem to stay more relaxed. If to be repeated, then getting them to enter carrier on their own will greatly reduce stress on later trips. Also try to use mealworms to keep birds interacting with audience. I give individuals interested in birds mealworms to feed the display.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Hand sanitizer for those who touch the chickens

7. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    This is great education for the public re: backyard chickens. I hope it went well!

8. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Success!!! Chickie was a great sport, wearing her cute little chicken diaper and charming kids and parents alike. So many kids had never seen a live chicken before much less get to pet one. I handed out brochures urging people to e-mail the city council in support of legalizing "back-yard" chickens.

I can't believe how calm Chickie was, surrounded by tons of kids who just wanted to touch her. She was awesome![​IMG]

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Good job!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Yay! Glad to hear she was such a good ambassador.

Were there any questions about her diaper?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by