Taking chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zimmy, Apr 4, 2007.

1. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    People say to wait till after five weeks, but by then, they won't be my babies anymore [​IMG]

I live in Florida, and it's usally 80-something+, so if the temp matches (or almost matches) the temp of the brooder at the time, is it okay to take them for a little outdoor venture?

Oh, and on a side note-- Having the chicks outside of their brooder for more than, say, 30 minutes when they're about a week. Is that bad?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If the temp outside is around 80 degrees, I see no reason to NOT take them out. Just watch them, if they act cold, they will huddle. I would say, the first few times, 30 min would be good....then slowly increase thier out time. They will love it!

3. cornishman

cornishman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    let em get thier feathers before you leave them outside...better keep em in a "small wire" pen so that nothing can get em...don't let em get rained on...in other words keep a close watch on em all the time! cornishman.[​IMG]

4. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    qwYAY! [​IMG]

And, Cornishman? Chickens are outlawed in the neighborhood, so I have to give them to a friend when they're about 5-6 weeks [​IMG]
    (Although every time we pass a house wish a bigger yard than ours, which is like 10x10 it seems, I bug me mum about chickens ^.^v)

5. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Weather conditions and the comfort of your chicks should be your guide. Just make sure you have them in a clean area (no pesticides/herbicides where they'll be) and safe from any hazards or predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by