Taking Ducklings Outdoors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tom NJ, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Tom NJ

Tom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    My birds are just under two weeks old. It is currently 50* and sunny out. Is it okay to take them out in the yard for a bit, or is it too cold?

2. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I let mine out in a pen with a heatlamp incase they needed it. They never went near it, but it made me feel good to give them the option to use it. They loooove to be outside!

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    At 2 weeks I would wait at least until the temps are in the mid 60's.

4. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    The Duck ABC's :

At 2 weeks I would wait at least until the temps are in the mid 60's.

LOL, mine were sleeping outside in a pen at 2-3 weeks with a heatlamp, lows in the 40s. They didn't even care to sleep near the heat lamp then.​

5. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine are 2 1/2 weeks old and are all outside now. They have been going outside since day 1. Just keep an eye on them every so often to make sure none of them are getting a chill. They actually have been swimming at least twice now, and love it. It's like mid 60's here. I am thinking of letting them sleep outside in their pen tonight, it will be 48, and I can put a heat lamp out for them. I feel bad when they are inside cause their brooder gets filled with poop so quickly. they love to be outside foraging and having fun together.

Peep them out at poolside: KC, Blackie, Blue, and Buffy in the pool, and poor Maggie is just drinking off to the side

[​IMG]

6. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    If they were hatched to a mother duck- they would be outside right? I read your question as being taking them out for a bit meaning you are going to be out there with them not just sticking them in a pen for a whole day. Ducklings are very inquisitve and will love going outside for an hour, or even half to explore the grass and get some exercise. It would really help to break the boredom of a brooder, and being out there with them, you can monitor if they are getting cold.

7. Tom NJ

Tom NJ Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    I had taken them out for about an hour. They had a blast, but they wouldn't stray very far from me or the kids. They didn't appear to mind the temp at all. Now they are nice a warm in the brooder, which leads me to another question. How do you keep from changing the bedding in the brooder daily? Right now they are in a large rubbermaid tote. I have been going through three liters of water a day and as soon as I change out the bedding, they empty out a waterer and everything is soaked again.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Make a splash catcher. There are a number of designs that have been explained with photo's here on the forum.

I have used

2 piece broiler pan
    steel salad bowl
    short rubber bucket

The idea is to get the waterer onto or into something that has the capacity to catch the splash, while still making it possible for the ducks to use the waterer.

Here is what I am using now

[​IMG]

I have sawdust in the bottom, which I top up daily and empty weekly

Here are some I used when they were little

[​IMG]
    broiler pan under gallon sized waterer

[​IMG]
    salad bowl under gallon sized waterer (waterer supported by upside down ricotta tub with holes in it.

9. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Last year I was strict about keeping the babes indoors until it was "appropriate" temp out. It only stressed us both out!! lol Now that I'm more comfortable with what I'm doing, I have my 2 wk olds out (same weather conditions you described) and just see if they are running around or sleeping happily. If they are huddled or shivering, I would bring them inside but I have yet to see that yet. I did bring them in yesterday when the sun turned to pouring rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by