Taking Ducklings Outside

MandBducks

Songster
5 Years
Apr 18, 2016
So today I decided to take everyone outside for a bit (they are two weeks old now). They hated it. We only lasted for five minutes because they seemed stressed and terrified.

Any tips to allowing ducklings some outside time and transitioning to more outside time?

It's been over 2 years since we had to introduce our hand raised ducks to the outdoors. We had 3 ducklings and we would set up the big cardboard ring that came in the starter kit we bought when we got the ducklings. We got them at TSC. It was pretty big and we would set it up in the grass and sit inside of it with them so they could feel the grass. I think not being able to see all the "scary stuff" because of the sides helped. We would increase their time each day and then we just started letting them roam with us until you could see they were enjoying themselves. I miss those days. They were fun and went by very fast, as they grow quickly. We have had ducklings since, but raised by their mother. That was much less work, but they aren't anywhere as friendly as our hand raised ducks. Good luck. They will soon learn to love outside.

They'll feel More comfortable if they have access to cover.

I used a canvas puppy play pen that had a mesh covering and when they outgrew that I used a plastic dog play on and covered it with bird netting.

Back
Top Bottom