Taking eggs from a broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kdyson, Sep 11, 2011.

1. kdyson

kdyson New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    Hello, I'm new to BackYardChickens Forum, and to chicken raising. We have had hens since about April 2011. Currently we have 2 BarredRock hens and 2 Rhode Island Red hens. We had a rooster that was recently killed by a predator, but before he was, one of our Rhode Island hens laid some eggs. She went broody, so we decided to see if they would hatch. She has been laying on a catch of 4 eggs for about 28 days, so I know that they are not going to hatch at this point. What do I do with them and with her? What is the best way to lessen the stress of this process?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Throw them out before they explode!

As for her, there are options. One is to let her keep sitting. They'll sit on nothing, or you can slip a golf ball under there or something.

There are various ways of "breaking" them that range from barbaric to useless. Sometimes if you just take them off the nest a few times it does it. I have one that I can break just by picking up the nest box for a day. Best I've found for the hard to break ones is a wire cage off the ground. This way they can't sit and keep their underside warm and in a few days they don't want to set any more.

Oh, and Welcome! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome to BYC! So sorry that the eggs didn't hatch. I have not dealt with broody hens but there is a lot of information on this site about that. Try a search on "breaking a broody hen". Hope you get the answers you need. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by