Taking eggs out of the tuner tomorrow. Day 20 update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kupi99, May 15, 2009.

1. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    [​IMG] I candled my eggs today, and saw that two moving with veins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are not all dead yet, despite the low temps / temp fluxes (despite all my efforts it was low yesterday and again today)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The other two of them appeared to be alive (I thought I saw moving), but looked small for day 17, they hardly took up the whole egg. So I hopefully at least two will come out!!!!!

My question is, how do I take them out of the turner tomorrow? And where do I put the sponges / cups of water?
    I'm thinking that I'll have to take them all out of bator at once while I take the turner out and put in sponges and cups of water. This might take some figuring, as I try to get the cups to fit in there, etc... Is this going to be a prob for the eggs? Is it ok to put the eggs straight on top of the wire grating? And do I need to do anything to temp / any better ways for getting it up w/o moving the knob for the last few days?

THanks. I know I'm full of questions, but some chicks are good as of now at least!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEAAAA [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    woohoo! how exciting! when i took mine out, i put them one by one into egg cartons next to the bator then removed the turner, so i didn't jar them or anything. i am pretty sure you can just put them on the wire to hatch. some people suggest putting a sheet of that no slip cupboard liner stuff down ( i wish i had) i used the carton method so mine were in the little carton cups. i didn't have any issues with my temp going right back, so i am no help there..lol

3. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    It's ok to place eggs straight on wire, however some (myself included) use "rubber" type preferated shelf liner. Makes clean up easier and provides better surface. As far as sponges...I place on one end, just line them up. Make sure to fill water trays on bottom of incubator. Most likely you don't need to add cups of water. Once you close the bator...now hatcher back up, your temps will/should go back up with out any adjusting at all with 30 mins to an hour. Best of luck and keep us updated on your hatch! [​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Im gonna just follow this one a little. Im interested to see how things turn out.

5. kupi99

Apr 7, 2009
    Alright! The eggs are out of the turner, and in the bator, and we'll see what happens. I took all the eggs out, did a real quick candle on them. Couldn't really tell if there had been any change from yesterday, since the overhead projector I normally use as a candler is all locked up for the weekend, so I had use another one that was harder to hold the eggs right to see through. One of the tem I'm pretty sure quit several days ago. I can see a dark shadow, but its much to small, doesn't take up the egg. Put back in the bator anyway.

Filled everything up and added a sponge, closed the bator and then watched to see what the hydormeter did. I only raised it to 65, but I'm worried, since its the weekend, and I wont be back up here tomorrow to check on it and make sure the humidity is good. I've got a tube going to one the wells so i can add more water if needed without opening the bator.
    I've gota blanket taped around the bator, the best I could without blocking vents, to help the temp probs that seem to be plaguing me.

I'm sticking around for at least another 30 min or so, to make sure everything is steady before taking off.

[​IMG] Here's hoping for good chicks with no deformities!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. kupi99

Apr 7, 2009
    Ah Crap. Just checked the hydrometer and now its reading 73. Temp is slowly and steadily climbing back up, currently at 96.7

What should I do? I know some people hatch here, but this is much higher than I wanted. Do i risk opening the bator? How can i get the humidty down.? Dang it. I was afraid of this, but I didn't want to keep the eggs out of the bator forver while I saw what the hydometer was doing.....

Help, ASAP!!!!!!

7. kupi99

Apr 7, 2009
    OK, yea, its climbing pretty quickly, we're at 75 now. Any help? What should I do?

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    take a sponge out-the humidity is on surface area not the amount in the sponge-that's what I did. Id rather have a lower humidity than to high...

9. kupi99

Apr 7, 2009
    OK I took the sponge out and its running at 74. HHHEEEELPPP!!!!

I need to go home!

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  10. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Give it a little time to come down. If you have to take some paper towel and soak up some of the water in the wells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by