Taking eggs out of turner tonight, should I lay something on the wire?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mathesonfarm, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Today will be my last time turning my eggs and I was curious if I should put something down on top of the wire in the incubator? Also, I read somewhere that you can mist the eggs with some water before lockdown to help raise the humidity...is this something I should do? I have water in the bottom of the incubator along with a wet paper towel. The humidity is at about 65% and I was going to put in a wet sponge as well. Ugh, my stomach is in knots [​IMG] Thanks to everyone who has giving me great advice already and to the ones who will!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, a hard wire bottom is not what I want my first introduction to the world to be on, so we use one of those foam mesh shelf liners and then paper towels on top of that so we can keep it clean after the eggs hatch and while others are yet to hatch. Gives the chicks a softer and non-slippery surface (help them get their land legs) and let's us keep it clean during the hatch.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I like to put down a square of kitchen towel for them. I think they'd probably be okay with the plastic mesh tray though...

4. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    I always put down paper towels, makes clean up much easier and seems better for the chicks to push around on when they hatch.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Ooh, it's Biddy! How's Tripod doing? Or was s/he called Scooper? Or Trinity? I just remember all the suggestions. Is s/he still okay?

6. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    I don't have a turner but I have mine in an egg carton. Should I remove that before lockdown and use the stuff you suggested? Or can they hatch in there?

7. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:I LIKE HATCHING MINES IN THE EGG CARTONS

IT REALLY MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO GET OUT AND THE EGGS DONT GET KICK ALL AROUND , YOU CAN LOOSE A CHICK OR TWO IF THE EGG GETS FLIP OVER AND THE CHICK SUFOCATES.

8. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Ok, I am going to lay down a kitchen towel for them. What do you guys think about the humidity...what should it be at? Everyone seems to have a different idea at what the humidity should be. It is currently at about 65%. Should I raise it?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put mine on the wire. I take the chicks out of the incubators as soon as they hatch and into the brooder boxes which have the course pine shavings in them and after they fluff out then they go into a brooder cabinet. It also has wire in the bottom but I do put some paper towels in them for the first couple of days.

10. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:I LIKE HATCHING MINES IN THE EGG CARTONS

IT REALLY MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM TO GET OUT AND THE EGGS DONT GET KICK ALL AROUND , YOU CAN LOOSE A CHICK OR TWO IF THE EGG GETS FLIP OVER AND THE CHICK SUFOCATES.

I thought I read somewhere about cutting the bottom out of egg cartons for air? Is this necessary? I am hatching my first batch laying on their sides on that foam type shelf liner. Seems soft and cushy and they will still be able to get a grip to stand up.
    Maybe next time I will try egg cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by