1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taking eggs out off the turner Q's ........................

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by paramedic07, Jun 12, 2011.

1. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    I had a thought I'm a few days from lock down on my last batch off eggs I'm going to do this year (I think). Would it be better to put them on their sides when I take them out the turner or just use egg cartons again ?

2. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used both methods with same results. Egg cartons do seem to contain most of the mess that comes with hatching tho. I use paper cartons and cut the bottom off for air circulation.

3. paramedic07

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    thanks. bump.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have done this too. I usually take them out of the turner and lay them back into the incubator.

5. paramedic07

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    one more bump before my final lock down of the year.

6. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I take mine out of the turner and lay them on their side for hatching. Had good luck doing that on 8 of my nine hatches this year. The other one had more that did pip but not finish breaking out. Had to help some out which I do not want to or like to do. Those were mostly pullet eggs with smaller chicks. Like I said mostly good luck laying eggs on their side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by